Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Bar for the Buck Head (Updated)

Every saloon needs a bar, right? I debated what to install in the Buck Head...just a few planks on some barrels, or a full-blown bar with mirrored back. Finally, I decided on a little compromise: since the SCTC is a camp, the owner of the Buck Head probably wouldn't have a huge bar installed, but would likely want something more than planks on barrels as well. I did some research, looked at some period photographs...but ultimately my solution came from one of my favorite TV series, "Deadwood."

The bar in the Gem (also a rough-hewn sort of place) looked like a perfect design for the Buck Head, so I shamelessly decided to copy it and got out my plastic card, rulers and X-Acto knife. Once I got going, the bar actually just sort of finished designing itself.



I definitely think I got what I was looking for: a step up from the planks and barrels, but not overly ornate and something that could be moved in a wagon. I worked out the dimensions, and this thing would measure 18' from corner to corner, or 14' long on the front side. I did a test fit in the Buck Head, and I think the size is perfect for the small saloon!

Test Fit
The bar is sanded, washed and ready for priming, and I'll do that in the morning.

A Closer View
Cheers!

UPDATE:  A little insomnia tonight, so I went ahead and built the back bar. The top portion is recessed so a mirror will go in the back. I've already test-fitted it, and it fits like a glove. A zombie wandered in from my conversion bench, so I included him for scale.

Bar with Back Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment