Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Up Next: "The Buck Head"

I've been at work on the Schitt Creek Timber Company's camp saloon, "The Blossom Buck Head" while I've been working on the other buildings. This is another of the TCL kits (called the Large Store) that I have come to like so much, but this one was a little more challenging than the others as nearly all of the wall pieces were warped. It wasn't a huge problem to correct, however, since all I had to do was thoroughly wet each piece and then press them flat under weight while they dried for two days. Certainly not a major issue, as the pluses of the kit far outweigh that issue.

I elected to use the optional peaked roof upgrade and ran into another small-ish issue: the kit includes only two triangular roof braces, and if both are attached to the roof pieces the roof isn't really secure on the building. Likewise, if the forward brace is glued to the high false front, then the roof isn't adequately braced. Again, not a huge issue, but a little annoying nevertheless. I solved this by cutting a brace for the false front from the discarded flat roof section (I think it's visible in the photos) and using both provided braces for the roof.

After I had solved both of those problems, I went ahead and gave the rear portion the exposed frame treatment and gave the whole building interior door and window detail as per usual. For the Blossum, Buck Head however, I elected to do the rest of the interior a little differently.

Since this is supposed to be a saloon instead of a store, there wasn't adequate wall space for a bar. So, I figured the owner would just plank over the windows on one wall, and I did the same...making sure to include nail holes in each board. Then, since a nicer atmosphere is synonymous with longer customer visits (and more money), I thought the owner would elect to do something about the exposed frames. To show this, I scribed plank and nail detail on each interior wall (I think it's visible in the photos). It isn't fancy flocked wallpaper, but it's a little nicer than the exposed frames in the rest of the camp buildings.

Construction is complete and the sand is drying on the exposed base now. Here's where the Blossom Buck Head stands as of now:

The Buckhead interior #1


The Buckhead interior #2
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment