Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Table Panel Frames and the Foot Bridge


My plan for the SCTC established, I made some initial orders of some structures to evaluate their quality (I'll discuss these in an upcoming post). I also bought the lumber for the table sections at my local Lowe's. The design for the table panel sections is pretty straightforward: thin plywood as the sub-base over a pine frame with 2" foam sheet on top so I can carve in terrain features (like Schitt Creek). I went with a 2' x 4' panel for the main camp and a 2' x 2' side extension panel for the camp living area.

I like doing 2' x 4' table panel sections like this as I can expand as far as I want in any direction with additional sections, and this size panel is easily transported and stored. Harmony and it's environs will also be done on 2' x 4' panels.

Table Panel


After looking over several structure manufacturers, I couldn't find any bridges that were even close to what I was trying to show; namely, utilitarian bridges that were built on-site with a minimum of frills. So, I decided to scratch-build both the footbridge at the living area and the wider, wagon bridge leading into the main camp. While I was at it, I also decided that I would go ahead and scratch-build the simple pole barn for lumber drying and storage as well...but that's for another post. I use basswood for all scratch-built structures, btw.

Here are some progress pics of the footbridge and a pic of the finished piece. I'll weather it some more after it's installed:





I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I decided to add some water discoloration on the pilings to show that Schitt Creek has variable levels.

Next time, I'll show the completed wagon bridge, but here's where it stands right now:


Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment